Sunday, November 25, 2007

 

Action on Management Companies at last?

Many people in Meath, Louth, Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow are living in estates which are run by Management Companies. Whilst the majority of these companies are well run, there is unfortunately no legislation governing their regulation. I have been pushing for better regulation for some time and raised the matter twice on the Order of Business in the Seanad. This week I put down an Adjournment Motion calling for the Minister to outline what he intends to do about the situation.

The Motion was put down on Wednesday night. An Adjournment Motion is heard at the discretion of An Cathaoirleach (the Chair) and it takes place after all of the rest of the day's business has been concluded.

I had been told earlier in the day that my motion would be heard, so I waited around as the other Senators left the Chamber at the end of business. Next thing I saw was Brian Lenihan walking in to the Chamber. Usually an Adjournment Motion is taken by a Junior Minister, so I was surprised to see one of the key Ministers coming in for the Motion. I reckon it shows that they are serious about the issue and so hopefully something will be done.

I spoke about the problems and pitfalls faced by residents and the Minister responded with his plans for regulation in the area. I will keep on at them to deliver on these plans.

I also spoke on the debate on An Post in the House. I pointed out that the postal service is essential to people living in smaller communities and that in the last 7 years they have been closing at a rate of one every 5 days. You can see my full contribution here.

Because of the constituency boundary review myself and my branch are now members of the LOUTH constituency. Whilst I have yet to decide on how this affects my own arrangements for the next general election, it is important for the branch structure to be re-organised as soon as practicable. Myself and two of the Jimmy Tuly / Laytown branch officers were invited to attend a meeting of the Laurence's Gate Branch in Drogheda on Tuesday nights.

The event was well attended, and the audience including former Louth TD Michael Bell and former Mayor of Drogheda Cllr Gerard Nash. I outlined the logistical changes being suggested by the review and then took some questions from the floor.

Drogheda branch flag

Michael Bell presents branch Chairman Gareth Fitzpatrick with the branch's flag.

Thursday evening saw the launch of a new book at the Bettystown Court Hotel. Compiled by local man Brian Langan, the book is called "Remembering the Future" and is a selection of stories from local people about their memories and hopes for the Coastal Area. The book is on sale in all local bookshops and proceeds will go to the Meath East Community Association (MECA) fund for a new Community Centre. There's one Christmas present decision made a lot easier!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home