Monday, December 17, 2007

 

More Pressure needed to ensure Le Ceile gets the go ahead

I had my first opportunity to suggest amendments to a Live Bill this week when I was responsible for suggesting some amendments on the Draft Defamation Bill. In the House was Brian Lenihan, Minister for Justice. Although the issue is not in my area, one of the other Senators couldn't attend and I covered the topic for him.

On Tuesday I had a meeting in the Le Ceile Educate Together school outside Drogheda. The parents, teachers and children had hoped to receive funding from the Department of Education for the construction of a permanent school. I brought the matter up in the Seanad on Wednesday evening. My speech, and the Minister's response, can be seen in the following video.



Earlier that day I made a speech on broadband rollout across the country, which can be read here.

Thursday saw the signing of the European Reform Treaty in Lisbon. On the way in to Leinster House on Thursday I noticed a truck campaigning for a No Vote. I briefly mentioned the issue on the Order of Business of the Seanad, calling for all sides to work for the passing of the referendum on the matter.

I spent Friday delivering leaflets to houses in the constituency. It was good to get a bit of exercise for a change, rather than sitting in an office all day. It was also nice to go around estates that I haven't been into in a few months and get an update on some of the issues from local residents.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home